Legal Drone Photography

A Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) provides an approval to operate unmanned air vehicle (UAV) (non-recreational drone) and tells you how and where you may fly.

If you are flying for anything other than for fun, we consider that you are flying for work or research and that you are flying a UAV (non-recreational drone). Examples of the type of work that may be conducted using a UAV include, but are not limited to:

  • survey,
  • agricultural,
  • inspections,
  • academic research,
  • first responders, and
  • aerial photography and videography (including for real estate).

Flying a UAV for payment or any other benefit or gain is also considered flying for work/non-recreational purposed.

To use a UAV for any kind of work or research, you must in most cases hold an SFOC. This applies to all UAVs no matter how much they weigh. The only exception to the requirement for an SFOC is if you intend to operate a UAV under one of the Transport Canada UAV exemptions.


With our combined experience, licenses and insurance we are now able to provide legal UAV work throughout Ontario.

Please contact us to survey and apply for your next aerial photography or videography project.